Pages

Friday 7 October 2011

Reading: Book vs Kindle

Now this for me is a touchy subject, it makes me angry that people would rather buy a gadget and download an eBook rather than buy a proper book
, HOWEVER, what makes me even more angry is that every time I see a Kindle I want to buy one!
It's so frustrating, when it comes to reading I'm old fashioned, I love the feel of a brand new book and the pleasure of seeing your progress when the clump of pages in your right hand is gradually decreasing, its a great feeling, also I love my book shelf - I like to see a nice collection of books on display. Everything about buying an actual book makes sense to me, the only positive in my view of having a Kindle is that it's easier to store when you are travelling. So why do I want one, I really shouldn't - it's against everything I believe in.
Quite simply, it's because I'm gadget obsessed, I have to have everything, even if I know it's ridiculous, the fact there's an affordable gadget out there that I don't have slowly eats at me, and eventually I know I will cave - and for this I am ashamed! It's the same with the iPad, when it came out I was like 'that's pointless' I've got an iPhone, a laptop and an iMac - pfft why on earth would I want to buy one of those. Then slowly that burning urge arises from deep within and you start thinking of the benefits of owning one, again storage appears to be the only benefit, however that is enough to keep the fire burning inside. I've resisted so far but it's getting harder, watch this space!
The worst thing about the Kindle is that the price of books aren't even that much cheaper, actually a lot of them are more expensive, so I can't even use that as excuse to justify my ridiculous urge to buy one! Come on Amazon give me a valid reason so I don't feel bad! Normally I have a straight cut opinion, black or white, but with this I'm stumped, it's just ridiculous, I need to get a grip and be strong, stand my ground and pick up my book! ARGH but it hurts!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am COMPLETELY with you on this!! I hate the idea of Kindles...I love books, I love bookshops, and it makes me sad to think that one day they will have all closed in favour of those horrible bits of plastic that hold however many books...but then I get an email from amazon telling me about their new improved Kindle, only £89.....and I can't help drooling a bit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! you again :-) it's a tough one isn't it!
    thanks again for reading :-)

    ReplyDelete