Pages

Thursday 23 August 2012

When is your data really yours!

Ok, I'm beyond the point of anger at the minute and the easiest way to release it is to write
, so to those who are interested, here's a little story of how credit check companies can screw you over!!

I got an email from Asda last week informing me of their new credit card with 1% cash back if used at any asda store or petrol station. I already have a credit card but with no rewards and shop at Asda every week so decided to apply. Just so you know, I've had loans/credit cards and phonebills in the past and all of which have been paid in full on time (or early) I've never had an overdraft and I earn more than I need to pay out. I also have a mortgage so needless to say I was slightly confused when my application came back declined. Yea. Asda declined me!!

Apparently my credit score let me down, but it's available to download from Equifax for £2, being the kind of person who can't drop something I decided to download it, filled out all the details but was actually charged £14.95!!!! You can imagine my anger.  But that's a separate issue. Ok so I've got my report and low and behold my score is 'Excellent' which is what I was hoping for, however I did have one red box with 'very poor, next to it. Electoral Roll. According to this company (updated days before) I'm not on the electoral roll register, which can cause serious problems with lenders as they use it to clarify your address. 


I know I'm registered as I've got copies of my letters. So I very politely rang equifax to explain the problem. Unfortunately they can't help, I have to create an online account and  'ask a question' HOW EFFIN RIDICULOUS!! The data on their system is wrong and is causing me problems, yet they can't rectify it unless I submit an online 'question' to be answered within 28 days (they aim for 7 though, very kind) 


Like a good member of the public, I do as I'm told and raise the question online, and so the wait began. In the mean time I emailed Asda explaining the situation, that I have an excellent rating and I'm trying to rectify the Electoral roll problem with Equifax. I also emailed my local council to ask for proof which they sent straight away. A letter confirming I've been registered on the Electoral Roll at my new address since August 2011. Thats a year ago. A whole year and this credit company - which by the way helps lenders make an informed decision about whether you are legit and suitable for credit - havent updated my account. 


The good thing about the online question malarkey is that you can upload any documents to help your question. So I did. I also sent it to Asda after a conversation with them on the phone, the lady I spoke to agreed that my score was high and she couldn't understand what the problem was so was kind enough to resubmit my application, which was declined again, obviously, but this time I told her what I thought the reason was and she said she would pass the information on.


While waiting for word back from Equifax I received 2 emails from Asda with exactly the same response, instead of giving me a reason, they gave me 4 possible excuses for declining me, all I asked for is more information in case I done something wrong, I replied saying this, and also explained the Equifax problem again. And guess what. I got the same reply as the other 2 emails, a clear copy from a standard reply sheet. P****s me off. 


So eventually, 4 days later I got confirmation from Equifax saying they had updated my records. No apology for taking a year, no apology for me having to pay £15 to spot an error that was completely their fault. Nothing. Just 'Your report has been updated'. Thanks Equifax. I'm really pleased you are in charge of my future credit situation, you are 100% reliable. 


You can probably guess the response I got from Asda after I informed them my account had been updated with Equifax. Yep. The standard reply I've received 4 times now. I tried ringing them but I was told the lady dealing with my account was on holiday today and would ring me the next day. Nope she didn't. 


I don't even want the sodding card any more (which I told Asda, quote "if this is how you treat your customers then I'm pleased to be declined") I just want to know what the hell the problem was, but no one will answer me.  I'm assuming it's the Electoral problem but I don't know. 


It's just absolutely ludicrous that a company can hold so much information about you and get something so important, totally wrong, therefore making me feel ridiculous. If that is the reason why, then on future credit card applications, if I'm asked if I've been declined in the past, I now have to say yes, which is unfair.


Oh and to add insult to injury, I got in from work today to a letter confirming I'd been declined, and they included a handy leaflet on what to do next. Top of the list is 'Dont try to re-apply as this may cause problems in the future' so although I thought that Asda girl was doing something nice by putting a second application in, she's probably just made things worse for me.


It's not like I even needed the card in the first place, it was only the bloody cash back I was interested in, oh well it teaches me a lesson I suppose. 


Oh and a word of advice, if you get the chance, check your credit report, you never know what might be wrong!!!


**Update 24/08/12** I rang Equifax this morning to ask if my information had been updated, the lady told me the Electoral Roll had been updated but if I wanted to know my re-evaluated score or if I wanted to see the electoral roll data to check it is correct, I would have to pay a further £14.95!!! Apparently the original £14.95 only gives me my data for that particular moment in time. SHOCKING!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment