Pages

Monday 11 February 2013

Pushing The Limits - Katie McGarry

4.95 out of 5 - For a book aimed at Teens, I LOVED it...

Wow, I originally only downloaded this book as I was stuck for what to read and didn't quite know what I fancied next, it was reduced in price and had quite a few good reviews. The only YA books I've read are Twilight, Hunger Games and the first 2 Harry Potter books so it's not exactly a genre I go straight for. Well, if this is what I've been missing out on then I will be browsing that section more often.

Maybe I lack a certain maturity, and the fact the book was written for a younger generation might have made it easier to read but this book flows brilliantly, I found myself reading 'one more chapter' well into stupid O'clock times, even though I had work to get up for. It really does drag you in against all of your will and might, you just can't seem to claw yourself back out, even after you finish, I still wanted to know more.

Don't get me wrong, there's no fantasy, magic or futuristic storyline, it's actually quite basic yet still an extremely compelling read.

The book is based around 2 main characters, Echo and Noah, both of which have been through hell in their lives, but different kinds of hell. Echo's Mother suffers from Bipolar and throughout the book you learn that Echo is struggling to remember a life changing event that left her with scars all over her arms, all she knows is that her Mother was involved, but everything else is a blur. No one in her family will fill in the blanks so it's up to Echo to get the truth herself, even if it means attending mind numbing meetings with the school counsellor, and tutoring the school womaniser Noah. She will do anything it takes to get her life back on track and stop the night terrors she can't escape.

Noah is a one night stand kind of guy, he sets his sights then moves on to his next target. He has thrown himself into the bad boy persona as a coping mechanism after losing both of his parents in a house fire. Noah is now trying to gain custody of his 2 younger brothers, who he fears are fading away from him due to the lack of visitation he is allowed. He is adamant his brothers are being abused by their foster parents, and given his history with his carers, there's no wonder he's paranoid. His brothers are his world and he will do anything it takes to get them back........you've guessed it, even school counselling.

The story follows Echo and Noah on their journey to get the answers they both long for, but along the way they are both met with obstacles neither one expected......each other.
Echo knows no-one can ever truly love her with her scars, and she isn't the sort to sleep around so Noah shouldn't be on her radar, yet she finds herself drawn to him.
Noah only sees woman as one night stands, he doesn't do 'feelings'...what's different about Echo, why does she intrigue him so much....You will have to get the book and find out for yourself.

Each chapter moves between Echo and Noah so you aren't just stuck following one person's side of things, and you pick up more characters as the story progresses, especially Guidance Counsellor Mrs Collins she's great, and plays a huge part in both their lives.

Throughout this book Katie McGarry tackles quite a few sensitive topics yet handles them brilliantly. There's death, mental illness, drugs, violence, romance, drama, tension and little bit of raunchiness, not too much though. The right amount of everything really, for the kind of book it is.

All I know is that I loved it. So much so I've had to stop reading my next book as I'm still thinking about Noah and Echo.....

No comments:

Post a Comment